Hitohira Shiraki Yohei White Honyaki Gyuto 240mm Taihei Ebony Handle
Part No. DAA-800-FA240
Physical items: It may takes 1 - 2 weeks to ship out.
Please contact for any request.
Handle Maker: Taihei
Many people have strict standards when selecting a handle, it is the only component we physically engage with a knife, the only part that touches our skin. Others overlook the handle of a kitchen knife as just a small “part” and do not pay close enough attention. Taihei however, a 3rd generation handle maker, shows a strong commitment to his craft.
When he was a child, Taihei remembers his grandfather crafting knife handles of timber and buffalo horn by hand, these fond memories helped him to decide to carry on the tradition from his father to the next generation, the year was 1992.
As the handle is not considered the main part of a kitchen knife, most manufacturers cut costs by having the ferrule made at a different location, then joining the two parts and shaping the handle by machine. Taihei however, still cuts each part of the handle by hand from solid materials, understanding the differences between each piece of wood and horn. This knowledge and skill make Taihei’s handles more durable than mass-produced models as he is making each piece differently to suit the materials in his hand.
As well as making traditional Ho magnolia wood handles, Taihei also challenges his work with many different timbers from all over the world. Each timber has a different weight, density, fineness and character, all important to consider when crafting each piece. He says, “if people have been using that wood for a long time, there is a reason that you cannot understand it within 10 or 20 years”. Taihei still respects tradition, but challenges with new materials and design, focusing on looks and functionality.
Brand: Hitohira ひとひら (一片)
Smith: Shiraki Blacksmith 白木刃物
Producing Area: Sakai-Osaka/ Japan
Steel Type: Carbon Steel
Steel: Honyaki Yasuki White (Shirogami) Steel
Handle: Taihei Ebony & Buffalo Horn Ferrule Octagonal
Total Length: 386mm
Edge Length: 234mm
Handle to Tip Length: 240mm
Blade Height: 45mm
Handle Length: 148mm
Hand Orientation: Ambidextrous
Sharpener: Yohei 与平
Handle Maker: Taihei 太平
Might available on our partners website:
Tosho Knife Arts (Toronto, Canada)
Ai & Om Knives (Vancouver, Canada)
Professional Tooling (Australia)
STRATA (Portland, ME, USA)
Stay Sharp (Montreal, Canada)
Carbon Knife Co (Denver, USA)
The Knife Shed / KATABA (London, UK)
*Measurement and photos are from sample I picked up randomly, please understand that each item(s) has unique profile because of handmade.
*We are selling at the shop and website same time. If you puchase item(s) when sold in store, this might be out of stock.
*We might have this item(s) in stock, even if it says "Sold Out". Please feel free to contact us by email email@example.com or using contact form below.
Share this Product
- For PRE-ORDER items, we will email you if the expected wait for your order is longer than one month.
- Colour and shape can differ between the photo and actual product due to the camera and lighting. Also, you may see a difference in colour due to the oil applied to protect from rust.
- Please note that some of the shown images are display products and can look different from the actual product.
- The products are handmade, therefore each one is unique in colour especially when it comes to wooden, horn and born parts, please let us know if you would like to purchase in a specific colour. Each product’s weight, pattern, and size can also differ slightly.
- If you are left-handed and have a special order for final edge, please let us know.
- Please do not use the knife in a twisting motion.
- Please use the correct knife when cutting bone, frozen or hard items.
- Please use a soft plastic or wooden cutting board to protect the blade’s edge.
- Please don't heat or cool rapidly as it may change the structure of the steel.
- Please don't hesitate to contact us for further enquiries.